Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 02:13:10 +0100

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 02:05, chad <address@hidden> wrote:

> DropBox updates itself without telling you:
>
>        How do I upgrade to the latest version of the Dropbox application?
>
>        [...] Dropbox will silently update itself in the background.

No. DropBox tells that, but it is false. This morning I had to
manually upgrade it. Apparently it auto upgrades just for very minor
changes, but not to pass from 1.1.X to 1.2.X. The same happens, for
example, with ESET Smart Security: it updates the engine for minor
changes, but when they switched from release 4 to release 5, it didn't
even warn me.

> LibreOffice has automatic updates:

Not enabled by default: "Online Update is a module that can be
selected or deselected to be installed. Choose the customized
installation in the Setup of LibreOffice."

> Bazaar tells you to use your package manager (although not on Windows):

I'm glad we agree.

> I stopped looking there.

Please, continue.

> To be clear: I'm asking you why you object to an easily-disabled system that
> checks for the existence of updates deemed critical by a human being

I don't object to that. I object to that being part of Emacs. By all
means, build an installer for GnuTLS and put all automatic checking
you want on it. Make it part of the Windows startup if you want. But
don't make Emacs connect to Internet every time it starts just to
check that yes, that GnuTLS that you are not really using for anything
at all is still safe to use (or ignore).

    Juanma