Re: bug#10385: e binding in info-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#10385: e binding in info-mode
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 18:07:48 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:54:16 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Consider too that `Info-edit' has been bound to `e' for decades - just as long
> as `b' has been bound to `beginning-of-buffer'.
>
> Clearly that choice of bindings was not simply an oversight or accident.
> Those
> who decided this originally surely thought about it - `e' corresponding to `b'
> is an obvious thing to consider.

AFAIK, that binding and its command go back to when there was no
makeinfo to produce Info from the Texinfo sources, and Info files were
created by hand.  That time is long gone.

That said, I agree that the change should have been preceded by an
attempt to see at least whether there are any objections.

> And if user-visible changes _are_ decided on then they should be mentioned in
> NEWS.

I agree.  There is such a NEWS entry about this particular change.