Re: "Snippet" database

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: "Snippet" database
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 06:49:34 +0900 (JST)

I wrote:
>> In my various guises I find myself sending out the same rote email
>> answer to many people.  "Thanks for the patch; applied" and stuff.  It
>> would be nice if one could just mark the region, ask Emacs to pull it
>> into a database of snippets, and then have a command that would insert
>> them again.
>>
>> Surely something like this already exists in Emacs, but I just can't
>> seem to find it.  Probably looking for the wrong thing...
>>
>> --
>> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>>   bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/
>>

> It may be nice if the "Snippet" database feature is integrated
> to abbrev, register, and bookmark machinery.
>
> Masatake

Here is the prototype of bookmark based snippet manager.

Usage:
1. Set the region which you want to record as snippet
2. Do M-x snippet:region->bookmark
3. Do \C-x r l
4. Do [return] on the line where the snippet
5. Switch the buffer
6. \C-y

(require 'bookmark)
(defun snippet:region->bookmark ()
  (interactive)
  (lexical-let ((snippet (buffer-substring (region-beginning) (region-end))))
    (let ((bookmark-make-record-function (lambda ()
                                           `((page    . ,snippet)
                                             (handler .
snippet:bookmark->kill-ring)))))

      (bookmark-set (car (split-string snippet "[\n]"))))))
(defun snippet:bookmark->kill-ring (record)
  (kill-new (cdr (assoc 'page record))))

Masatake