Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:23:59 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:
 > 2012/1/5 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
 >
 > > You're right.  Do you agree with the general idea of checking for
 > > critical updates on startup, though?
 >
 > FWIW, I don't. That is a step (tiny, I know) in the "software as a
 > service" direction.

No, it's not.  Providing software *as* a service is a different issue
from providing software *with* a service.

There is an issue of "ET phoning home" here, which is not an easy one
for free software (at least as I understand Richard's positions on
these things).  But please don't call it "software as a service,"
which is a business model based on decreasing the range of choices
and information available to the user; Ted is suggesting increasing
both, while decreasing certain costs to some users at relatively low
(but not insignificant!) cost to the Emacs project.