Memory Leak was: Re: Update on the Emacs release schedule? 8 messages

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Memory Leak was: Re: Update on the Emacs release schedule? 8 messages
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:28:03 -0800

I'm running Emacs 24 on three machines, and am seeing leaks on
one of them -- Details below.

Home: Ubuntu Jaunty x86_32 quad-core -- No Leak
Laptop: Intel x86_64 dual core Ubuntu Lucid -- No Leak
Work: amd_64 16-core HP  workstation Ubuntu Lucid -- Leak!

I know other Emacs hackers at work who are running the identical
Lucid  build on 64-bit machines -- but not on the 16-core HP
workstation who are not seeing the leak.

I've tried building with and without gnutls -- no difference.

Symptoms of the leak:

The office workstation has 12gb of RAM and 36GB swap.

Before starting Emacs: `free' shows 2gb in use.

Start Emacs 24 -- with just emacspeak loaded -- no immediate
signs of a leak -- `free' shows abut 6gb in use -- which does
seem a lot.

M-x shell in that emacs
and wait for a couple of minutes.

Running `free' on a separate terminal shows that all 12GB  of
memory in use -- emacs RSS is   at 10GB.

If you dont kill the runnning emacs-24 at that point, it brings
the workstation to its knees and the machine stops responding and
needs to be rebooted.

--Raman

--
Best Regards,