Re: libnettle for Emacs

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: libnettle for Emacs
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 03:43:07 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:54:48 +0100 Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> RR> probably naive Q but : this library [libnettle] encrypts/decrypts
> RR> identically to the external gpg? e.g a file I encrypt with gpg can
> RR> be read using this new proposal and vice versa?
>
> Nope, libnettle is not compatible with GPG.  The intention is not to
> cooperate with GPG (which EPA/EPG can already do) but to have an
> internal solution to Emacs' encryption needs when the producer and the
> consumer are both Emacs (not necessarily the same process).

Ah, so its an addition. Fair enough. Well so long as gpg stays supported
then. gpg stuff is used all over the desktop for mail encryption, doc
encryption and handled in the keyring managers for things like gnome and
cached using stuff like gpg-agent as you'll know better than me ;)
epa/epg is used in stuff like org-crypt so all my :crypt: entries are
encrypted using my gpg keys. pani over ;) regards,r .