Re: NaCl support for Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: NaCl support for Emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 00:47:17 +0900

Harald Hanche-Olsen writes:

 > That used to be true, several years ago. But in late 2007, he
 > announced that he was changing that, and all his software – past and
 > future – would be in the public domain [1].

Oh, that's good!

 > (It may be that some old distributions of his still have the old
 > license files, though.)

Well, that was one of the problems with some of those distributions
... there were no license files!

 > As far as I know the term "public domain", there is really only one
 > kind, so you cannot attach license conditions to something in the
 > public domain.

Sure, but that's assuming that Carsten knows what the public domain
is.  No offense intended, I just don't know him.  OTOH, Bernstein's
reputation as a copyright crank is well-deserved, you know, even if
it's been several years since he changed his mind.  Unfortunately,
that attitude has meant that his software, which is universally
respected for its security and performance, has been relegated to the
backwaters of FLOSS (because it usually wasn't).