Re: lexical-binding rationale?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lexical-binding rationale?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:00:01 -0500

>> I'm sure this has been discussed to death, so please feel free to
>> respond with a link, but... can anyone point me to a rationale for
>> dynamically altering such a fundamental language behavior on the basis
>> of a variable's value?
> It's easy to use on a per-file basis, and in the majority of cases
> allows the source to be transparently backwards compatible with
> older/other versions of Emacs; so why not. Since it's a fait accompli,
> discussing alternative ways it might have been done are only going to be
> of academic interest.
> I never did get an answer to my question about whether the setting HAS
> to go in the first line of the file though. I still don't know.
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8610#8

The intention is that it should work like any other file-local setting
so it can go in the end as well, but I haven't checked that
lisp_file_lexically_bound_p handles that cases correctly.  If it
doesn't, then the file would be mis-handled when loading it uncompiled
(which is the only case where lisp_file_lexically_bound_p is used).

        Stefan