Re: Feature suggestion: iswitchb should have an option to show virtual b

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Feature suggestion: iswitchb should have an option to show virtual buffers like ido does
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:11:32 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Riley <rileyrg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Or use ido mode which is fast gaining popularity and is a superset of
> what iswitchb provides. Why duplicate effort? Ido mode now ships with
> emacs and more and more modes integrate with it in the from of using ido
> to complete all input prompts.

It's also a possibility though I like the look of iswitchb better. Maybe
ido can be confgiured to look like iswitchb.

BTW, there is one feature which ido could implement. This virtual buffer
concept could be extended, so that the user can specify additional lists,
not just recent files.

For example, if I work on a project then there are files in it which
I open only rarely, so these files are not on the recent files list.
In this case I would compile the list of all files in the project and
tell ido to also use this list. This way ido would list matches from
the buffer list first, then from the recent files and then also from
the list of project files.

And I could I add more than one such lists, so I could cover all the
usual places from where I open files. This would almost completely
elminate the need for any kind of file opening. Every file could be
accessed conveniently with a simple buffer switching regardless if
it is open or not.