Re: Multiple regions

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Multiple regions
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:38:52 +0100

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:32, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I found this library to be quite useful:
>>   http://www2.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~lmitche4/multi-region.el
>> Is there any plan to implement multiple regions natively?
>
> Plans, no.  But I think it would be good to do it.  This said, I think
> such an implementation would first want to move call-interactively to
> Elisp code.  And it will need to do a delicate redesign of the region code.

If that ever happens then I think it should cover the case "multiple
major modes". (My idea is that multiple major modes can be reliably
implemented by giving functions involved relevant regions of the
buffer as they are and the other regions just as whitespace (visible
characters replaced by space, newline probably best preserved). But
that requires deep and complicated changes to Emacs.)