Re: TUTORIAL.de updated

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL.de updated
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:14:48 +0900

Ulrich Mueller writes:

 > (BTW, are there any plans to stop that abuse of the grave accent as an
 > opening quotation mark in the rest of the documentation? Or am I the
 > only one who uses fonts where the `' pair looks so ugly and
 > asymmetric?)

In printed documentation TeX will turn it into proper quotation
marks.  So, probably no change in Texinfo sources.

It should be possible to patch the to-Info and to-HTML drivers in
makeinfo to generate proper quotes in Latin-1.  Ask Karl Berry if a
patch would be accepted.

In docstrings, changing this would require teaching various parts of
the help system to recognize quotes rather than grave accent.  But
maybe help display functions (eg, C-h f) could do the translation
using display tables.