Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:01:29 -0500

Noting that ASCII ` always was a grave accent, and never a quote,
it seems that the proper fix for TeXinfo is to add one or more @foo
commands to cover quotations which are not already covered.

Adding @quote{} as a generic mechanism would be the starting point,
to specify locale-specific quoting.  Those locale details can be found
in the glibc src.  Separating semantics from presentation in document
sources is a beneficial goal.

Atoms with more specific semantics could be added in the furture.

(As a side note, Knuth(, et al?)’s choice of `' and ``'' instead of
a \command{} is one of the *very* few details I think he (they?) got
wrong.  I presume that TeXinfo’s usage derives from TeX’s.)

(It was most tempting to use Έλλενικ ΤεΧ instead of Latin TeX. :)

(I hope »Έλλενικ« is the correct declension.)

(And apologies for the abundance of parenthetical postscripts. ;)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6