Re: face vs. mouse-face text property

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: face vs. mouse-face text property
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:18:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you please describe your scenario in more detail?  Empty lines
> have no text, so it's unclear how can you talk about "clickable text"
> in that case.

I'm talking about completion candidates that can be selected with the
mouse.  I stumbled over this problem in Icicles, but it also appears in
vanilla Emacs.  Try this:

(completing-read "foo: " '(("aaaa") ("bbbb") ("\n") ("cccc")))

The "\n" candidate gets no visible mouse-face when you move the mouse
over it in *Completions*, so the user doesn't see where to click to
select it.

If you try that:

(completing-read "foo: " '(("a\n\nb")))

the whole area between a and b gets a mouse-face (from the left to the
right border of the window), but only if the mouse is exactly over the a
or the b.

Such completion candidates are a bit exotic, right, but they _do_ appear
in some situations.

- Michael