Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:34:15 -0800

On 01/20/2012 06:05 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I actually much prefer symmetry, the way it was with pre-unicode
> X fonts.  E.g. ‛myfoo’.
> One other problem (besides display) with directed quote marks is that
> they're not as easy/convenient to type.

Good points both.  Perhaps it would be nice to introduce a quoting
function that follows the user's preference without our having to
type directed quotes in the Elisp source code.  This could be a new
format flag `, e.g.,

  (format "Cannot open file %`s for reading", "foo.c")

could follow the user's preference for quoting, returning

  "Cannot open file ‛like this’ for reading"

in your preferred environment.