Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:35:00 -0800

On 01/22/2012 03:56 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I thought we were talking about putting curly quotes into doc strings,
> etc, where ordinary users are going to have to deal with them.

No, the idea is doc strings would be automatically formatted
for the user's display, and that this would use ASCII quotes
unless Emacs is on a display that can handle curly quotes.
In other words, curly quotes would appear in the Emacs source,
but they're not necessarily what the Emacs user would see.

I am not proposing that .texi format be changed.  There's no need
for that, as Texinfo already generates different quoting styles
depending on the output technology, and its current input format
already suffices.

Nor am I worried about people ssh-ing from their cell phone to
develop Emacs.  If and when that becomes practical, we can fix it
for developers, much as we already have a fix for developers who
use Linux consoles.