Re: Patch for lookaround assertion in regexp

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Patch for lookaround assertion in regexp
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:19:58 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Schwab <schwab <at> linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Tom <adatgyujto <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Why not use simply PCRE with a bridge layer which translates from emacs
> > regexp format to PCRE? AFAIK the emacs regexes are more or less a subset
> > of PCRE, so the translation shouldn't be very difficult.
>
> Does PCRE implement \c and \s?

If it doesn't then it's a job for the translation layer. Char syntaxes
and categories could be converted into the standard [...] format.

I don't know how efficient it would be, it should be tested, but
pcre can compile regexps too. I don't know if emacs uses some precompiled
format internally if the same regexp is used again and again.

> Does PCRE provide an interface for searching a memory region with a gap?

I don't know it should be checked, but other editors use PCRE as their
regex search engine, so there may be some support for that.