Can we set-network-process-option process :keepalive t by default?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Can we set-network-process-option process :keepalive t by default?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:13:15 -0600

This is the code we use currently on Gnus IMAP and NNTP connections:

(when (and (fboundp 'set-network-process-option) ;; Unavailable in XEmacs.
 (fboundp 'process-type) ;; Emacs 22 doesn't provide it.
           (eq (process-type process) 'network))
  ;; Use TCP-keepalive so that connections that pass through a NAT router
  ;; don't hang when left idle.
  (set-network-process-option process :keepalive t))

I think nowadays it makes sense to set that as the default for all Emacs
network connections (though the user should be able to turn it off, and
the OS has to allow it of course).  Can we make that change after 24.1
is out?

Thanks
Ted