Changing the default perl mode

From: Joe Higton
Subject: Changing the default perl mode
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:30:13 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

As an emacs evangelist in the Perl community I like to give people
advise on how to get started using emacs for Perl development.
Unfortunately step 1 is to tell them that whilst the standard emacs
perl-mode isn't very good, it can be easily be swapped for the vastly
superior cperl-mode via a quick modification to their .emacs
file... Getting them start hacking around in their configuration files
isn't always the best start for people who are trying emacs for the
first time.

After a recent debate on the Perl subreddit I thought I'd come and at
least ask the question: What are the chances of changing the default
emacs mode for Perl to cperl-mode? I realise that changing such things
from underneath users is probably something which you don't undertake
lightly, but cperl-mode seems to be mature and also the established
favourite with developers, so I'd say there is a strong case for this.

Thanks,

Joe Higton.