Re: AUCTeX Mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AUCTeX Mode
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:21:08 -0500

>> any news? which is the final decision?
> We won't do it in Emacs 24.1 for sure, since we are well into pretest.

FWIW, I'm not generally happy with keeping large externally-maintained
packages in the Emacs repository, because synchronization is always
a source of trouble.  Gnus currently works very well (which has not
always been the case), with a smooth two-way sync done on a very regular
basis, but this requires manual work, i.e. someone dedicated, and noone
knows what will happen when this someone loses interest (which will
happen sooner or later).
I.e. good will and general agreement on both sides (which can usually
be taken for granted, luckily) is often insufficient.

So I think that if we move AUCTeX into the main `emacs/trunk'
repository, that should mean that either there's some well-oiled two-way
sync going on, or the Emacs repository is made to be "the canonical
upstream" for AUCTeX.

Another option is to keep AUCTeX in `emacs/elpa' and include it in the
distributed tarballs.  I think such a setup is a good strategy for
several packages.  But for that, someone needs to figure out how to do
it (it = include some ELPA packages in the Emacs tarball).

        Stefan