Re: Interest in "Elisp lint"-like tool?

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: Interest in "Elisp lint"-like tool?
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:46:46 -0500

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> (trivial comments only)
>
> Daniel Hackney wrote:
>
>>   - elLint
>
> A bad name, since elint.el already exists. (See also lisp-mnt.el.)

Ah, I wasn't aware. Again, these are merely random ideas off the top of
my head; I'm sure others could come up with better (read: less cheesy
and less already-taken-y) names.

>> Some of these style choices seem fairly uncontroversial (like making
>> sure `provide' is at the end of the file)
>
> It is not always possible though (to avoid recursive requires is the
> usual reason).

Haha, bad choice of "uncontroversial" example, then! ;)

Looking at the list again, I guess none of them are truly
uncontroversial, but many should be reasonably easy to agree on, like
having ";;; filename.el --- What this file does" as the first line or
"no trailing whitespace."

The broader point is that I think it would be useful to have some
guidelines on these sorts of things beyond what currently exists, and
some way to enforce or "gently suggest" adherence to them.

--
Daniel M. Hackney