Re: [patch] add "underwave" face attribute

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: [patch] add "underwave" face attribute
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 01:18:23 +0100

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Very nice, we could use it for `flyspell', `flymake', `next-error'
> to highlight errors, etc.

Indeed :)

> But what to do with platforms where it's not yet supported?

On a tty frame underwave underlines.
As for other platforms, I've tried to write some code in the patch,
but I can't compile or test it.
Someone who can build emacs on windows/mac osx needs to try it and report back

> There should be a way to detect its availability
> and to fall back to other face attributes.
>
> Currently `:underline' can test its support with `(supports :underline t)'.
>
> Maybe `underwave' should do this with something like:
>
> (defface underwave
>  '((((supports :underline wave))
>     :underline (:style wave :color "red"))
>    (t
>     :underline (:style line :color "red")))
>  "Basic underwave face."
>  :group 'basic-faces)

Maybe. I'm not too familiar with this face support hierarchy stuff.
I'll have a look.