Re: Emacs 24.0.93 Pretest Windows Binaries published

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.0.93 Pretest Windows Binaries published
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 09:48:39 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:46:17 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> DA> 1. According to Eli, "It's an email authentication package."  Which would
> mean
> DA> that it is needed only by people who use Emacs for email.
>
> DA> At a minimum, that should be pointed out in the brief description that
> needs to
> DA> accompany this "special treatment".
>
> DA> And that's the case wherever we choose to describe GnuTLS.  (And it
> should be
> DA> described in the README, irregardless of whether it is described in the
> DA> announcement.)
>
> GnuTLS provides SSL and TLS encryption for any network connection, hence
> "secure networking" in my earlier message.  It can encrypt e-mail
> protocols like IMAP and SMTP but does not deal with e-mail messages.

What other features in Emacs use TLS as of this writing?  I thought
only email protocols do, which is why I described GnuTLS as I did.

If other protocols we have can be secured by GnuTLS, there seems to be
a gap in our documentation, because I couldn't find any place where
that is mentioned, except in relation to SMTP and the likes.