Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:56:32 +0000

On Sun 05 Feb 2012, Alin Soare wrote:

> There is the conception of mozilla and many text editors that changing a
> tab means to pass to other web page or other file to edit.
>
> In Emacs, I propose , the behaviour of each event of a tab to be defined
> using lisp functions, attached to the events that tab reponds to.
>
> This does not mean necessarly only commuting to other buffer, or commuting
> to other window; in order to make a tab that does such a commutation like
> in other text editors,  particular lisp functions should be defined for the
> events of that tab.

Please give your proposed feature a different name. Given the existing
confusion between meaning of tab (hard tab characters vs. the TAB key),
adding more meanings for the word 'tab' will only add to the confusion.

Call your feature a tabbed-window or tabbed-frame, or anything else which is
distinct from 'tab' as this will avoid of lot of confusion for end users
trying to understand what is being discussed.

    AndyM