Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:16:08 +0100

> There is the conception of mozilla and many text editors that changing a
> tab means to pass to other web page or other file to edit.

What does "changing a tab" mean?  Do you mean pushing some graphical
object with the mouse or replacing one graphical object with another?

> In Emacs, I propose , the behaviour of each event of a tab to be defined
> using lisp functions, attached to the events that tab reponds to.

Can I transcribe this as "reacting to a tab event means to call a
function written in Elisp"?

> This does not mean necessarly only commuting to other buffer, or commuting
> to other window; in order to make a tab that does such a commutation like
> in other text editors,  particular lisp functions should be defined for the
> events of that tab.

Sure.  But any such function could be used in another context as well.
As mentioned before, we could easily add menu- or toolbar items which
stand for "saving the current window configuration" or "restoring a
previously saved window configuration".  I can neither see why such
actions should be exclusively tied to tabs nor why tabs are very suited
for them.

martin