Re: First fontification of a buffer happens before font lock is fully in

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: First fontification of a buffer happens before font lock is fully initialised.
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:39:00 -0500

>> Yes, I agree.  This was the behavior in Emacs-20, and is also the
>> behavior with jit-lock (i.e. the default behavior).  I'm not sure what's
>> the best way to get that result, tho: adding yet-another keyword to
>> define-minor-mode is something I'd rather avoid.
> I can only see one other way to deal with this: that is to write
> `font-lock-mode' explicitly; or rather, expand the macro by hand, tidy it
> up, and move the `run-hooks'.

Moving away from define-minor-mode is also something I'd rather avoid
(so we don't have to update font-lock-mode every time we change
define-minor-mode).
Some other thoughts:
- use some trick to delay the fontification to after the minor-mode hook
  is run (e.g. add to post-command-hook or something like that).
  post-command-hook is not a good choice and I can't think of much
  better, so maybe this is out.
- maybe it's OK to add yet another argument to define-minor-mode.
  Note that an arg that says "turn off this standard thingy" (as
  in :no-hook) is out of the question, since a large part of the reason
  why we have define-minor-mode is to try and auto-enforce the coding
  conventions of minor modes.  But maybe we can have an :after-hook.
  Some major modes would also appreciate such a feature, so maybe this
  same arg can be added to both define-minor-mode and
  define-derived-mode.

        Stefan