Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:08:56 -0500

> Hello to everyone ! In this message I would like to share my (mostly
> negative) experience with CL package of Elisp.  I'm sure, some Emacs/Elisp
> gurus are already familiar with many of these, but I still believe I have to
> say something new.  Let's start.

Elisp is not Common-Lisp.  CL does try to provide some CL-style
functionality, but indeed it has some rough edges in this regard.  It is
much better to look at it as a handy toolbox, whose design was inspired
by the experience of Common-Lisp, than to look at it as a "Common-Lisp
compatibility layer".

The points you raise sound like bugs indeed.  We welcome patches to fix
them, but I personally won't spend much time tracking those bugs down,
because my experience with this part of CL is that it's not always easy
to dig into it (it's *very* lightly commented for one, and parts of it
are fundamentally broken).

        Stefan