Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:29:46 +0100

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 14:51, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> org-count
>>> org-find-if
>>> org-reduce
>>> org-remove-if
>>> org-remove-if-not
>>
>> I must be misremembering. Isn't it ok to use the cl functions here?
>> (You would be using it in compiled code.)
>>

> You are misremembering.  If it were ok org, gnus, ert and widget would
> not all have their own remove-if variants?

Thanks. Or, I might be misunderstanding ;-)
The manual says in D.1 Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions that

    However, there is no problem with using the `cl' package at
     compile time, with `(eval-when-compile (require 'cl))'.  That's
     sufficient for using the macros in the `cl' package, because the
     compiler expands them before generating the byte-code.

Is that not enough, or is it not applicable to code included in Emacs?