Re: What version of Emacs still requires '*' in defcustom docs?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: What version of Emacs still requires '*' in defcustom docs?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:16:13 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > > Why is it important to make such a change?
 >
 > Because complexity is a problem in itself and as maintainers our main
 > task is to try and keep it in check, so the code doesn't crumble under
 > its own weight.

The problem is that this is complexity for the maintainers, and it's
minor.

Making the change of `defvar ... "*..."' to defcustom is imposing
maintenance costs on 3rd-party package maintainers, and potential
additional complexity (in the custom interface) on users.  The custom
hierarchies for Gnus and VM are awful in my experience.  In reaction,
in some cases I've made a distinction between things that a very few
users might want to change, and defcustoms.

YMMV, but I think if somebody proposes porting this change to XEmacs,
I'll oppose it at least at first.