Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:24:33 -0500

>> (The problem is simple: if a buffer and its frame *both* declare a
>> variable to be 'local', which takes precedence? There is probably
>> code that depends on *each* taking precedence, so any answer will
>> be wrong.)
> I've not seen complaints about this in re: XEmacs specifiers where the

Indeed, the problem is not one of precedence.  It's one of implementing
it efficiently and still make it work right (after defining what "right"
means) in the presence of let-bindings.  Compound this with the fact
that such combinations are virtually never used (and hence never
tested/debugged) and you'll see that it's both a painful problem to
solve and one that comes with no reward.

Specifiers are easier because they don't have to interact with
let-binding (and since their code path is separate from the one of
variables, they don't need to be particularly efficient, so I guess
they can/could provide let-style rebinding with less pain).

        Stefan