Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Dimitri Fontaine
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:52:31 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
> Meanwhile, most of the people who program Emacs Lisp daily (i.e., people
> like me) have always been in favour of including it.  Who doesn't want
> `incf'?  `plusp'?  `delete-if-not'?  `position'?  So you get all these
> hundreds of reimplementations of all these necessary functions, only
> spread over all the different packages.

Totally agreed.

Also allow me to add that I (require 'cl) in el-get, where 536 different
elisp packages are included (and used, as they were submitted all by
el-get users), plus all of emacswiki and ELPA, featuring more than 2100
packages supported. We also have easy support for all emacsmirror
packages, that's 3197 packages (though only 1000 more from the 2100
already counted I guess, considering duplicates.).

After closing something like 500 bugs in 2 years, I'm yet to see a
report from a user having a problem related to (require 'cl).

So yes please include that library in elisp itself, and in passing,
please do tell me again why elisp is not having some namespace support
already?

Regards,
--
dim