Re: Emacs revision #107149

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs revision #107149
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:51:31 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyhow, you've neglected to address the main points in my last post.
> Would you please do so now:

I thought Stefan and Wolfgang had answered the question.

The fontification takes place in one buffer, and the result is then
copied over to a different buffer.

> Have you individually checked any of the other modes you might use, to
> make sure that they don't get fouled up by not calling their
> font-lock-mode-hooks?

There have been no bug reports on other modes; just C mode.

You still haven't responded to my question of why CC mode does the
initialisation of this variable in this rather baroque way:

> You may well be right, but looking at the code, I don't really see why.
> There's one single consumer of
> `c-standard-font-lock-fontify-region-function'?  There's one single
> place it's set?  If it isn't set, the function breaks unconditionally?

The code does not seem to make sense as it is, but I may well be
misreading it.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome