Re: emacs 24 randomly hanging

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs 24 randomly hanging
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:49:35 -0500

>> There is an invariant that *every* live frame is on Vframe_alist.
>> If that invariant is violated then this is the bug that must
>> be fixed.
> Such an invariant seems obvious but I don't see it neither formulated
> nor preserved.

It's indeed an important invariant.

> And why is Vframe_list "V" prefixed but not available in Lisp?

I don't know why it has a V, but I suspect it's because Vbuffer_alist
also has a "V".  As for why it's not available to Lisp, it's
specifically because the above mentioned invariant needs to be preserved
and the C code might break otherwise.  Actually, now that I think about
it I have a vague recollection that Vbuffer_alist was exported to Lisp
at some point in the past, and that it later was hidden so as to prevent
Lisp code from breaking the invariant.  So if my memory isn't screwing
with me, that would explain Vbuffer_alist's "V".

        Stefan