Re: when to call provide, first or last?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: when to call provide, first or last?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:25:25 -0500

>> Actually, such mutual dependencies aren't desirable
> Can you elaborate on this a little?  In my mind if two files implement
> different parts of the same libraby, it's quite natural for mutual
> dependencies to occur.

It's actually rare.  Most program decompositions result in *layering*,
with no or very few mutual recursions.  Mutual recursions also can be
tricky: it's easy to get ill-founded recursions if you're not
paying attention.

Even more so if you're only testing your code in "interpreted" mode,
since the byte-compiler will execute the top-level code (especially
macro-expansions) in a different order, so the problem may not appear in
your testing.

Again, nothing terribly important to rule out such things, but enough to
discourage them.

        Stefan