Re: info handling dir.gz

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: info handling dir.gz
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:39:43 +0100

Lluís  writes:

> Glenn Morris writes:
>> Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>>> +                  ;; As of 2011 or thereabouts, some weirdness in the
>>> +                  ;; transition from Debian to GNU install-info results
>>> +                  ;; in the directory file being gzipped.  Sigh.

>> It's probably a bug in some package you have installed.
>> See eg http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537835
>> I don't have a dir.gz on my Debian testing system.

> I too have a /usr/share/info/dir.gz file. That probably explains why the info
> directory has been so empty lately :)

> Reinstalling a random package removes /usr/share/info/dir and regenerates
> /usr/share/info/dir.gz.

> So, I'd say it's necessary to install this patch. Besides, support for gzipped
> dir files in install-info has been there there since version 4.0 (sep 1999),
> so
> this patch can only make the handling more complete.

Sorry, I just looked into the bug you linked. The problem in my system seems to
be cvs:

$ dpkg -S /usr/share/info/dir.gz
cvs: /usr/share/info/dir.gz
$ apt-cache policy cvs | grep \*
 *** 1:1.12.13-12+squeeze1 0

But install-info is still supposed to be able to handle gzipped dir files, so...

Just my 2 cents.

Lluis

 Tollbooth