Re: Patch for PHP5 support for etags

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Patch for PHP5 support for etags
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:10:25 +0100

>On 2012-02-24 11:36:06, Olivier Sirven wrote:

>>> Maybe some of those that have contributed to php-mode.el can?
>>
>> I'm no php-mode.el contributor but I do code in PHP5 every single
>> working day using emacs for a long time now.
>> I was previously forcing language detection to java in order to have
>> something usable even though not perfect.
>>
>> I've just found out about this PHP5 patch for etags and just gave it a
>> try. As far as I can see it works just fine, all my declarations are
>> there and I don't see any strange results.
>>
>> If you need any help getting this into the main code base I'd be glad to
>> help. But first I need to understand what you mean by "strange results"
>> so I can check whether or not I do have the same issue

Ok, I must have lost this mail of yours, at least I cannot find it in my
records.  Sorry about that.  That said, I am lagging behind with work on
etags.  Much, much behind.  And yes, if some other maintainer steps in
to volunteer, I will pass the baton.

Today I tried to recompile etags locally for the first time in a couple
years at least and I am seeing some problems (etags should be able to
compile even outside of the Emacs tree).

>I see nobody has interest into PHP5 for etags...so sad!
>
>So maybe I'm the only one but what can/should I do to get this patch
>merged?

If you would like to try, you are welcome!  As a start, please try and
start from the current etags.c version in Emacs trunk.  Then write to
me, I'll try to help you get going, if necessary.

Else, I'll try to reapply the patch and see what comes out.