Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:15:45 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 08:19:20 +0900
>
> No, the shaping engine checks buffer/string contents.  So,
> if there's a space between A and B, the rule for shaping AB
> sequence is not activated.  Please try these two:
>
> (insert #x642 #x64C)
> (insert #x642 (propertize " " 'invisible t) #x64C)

This looks exactly identical to me (on MS-Windows), except that the
second one causes annoying behavior of cursor motion around the
inserted text.

Does it work for you on GNU/Linux?  If so, does it work for you to
change quail-insert-kbd-layout to use this trick in order to separate
the `lower' from the `upper' in the key cells?  I tried that on my
machine, and it didn't have the desired effect.