Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:54:53 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > (insert #x642 #x64C)
> > (insert #x642 (propertize " " 'invisible t) #x64C)

> This looks exactly identical to me (on MS-Windows), except that the
> second one causes annoying behavior of cursor motion around the
> inserted text.

> Does it work for you on GNU/Linux?

Yes.

> If so, does it work for you to change
> quail-insert-kbd-layout to use this trick in order to
> separate the `lower' from the `upper' in the key cells?

Yes.  But it depends on the font selected for arabic and the
shaping engine for that font.  Some shapers display a glyph
for an independent combining character with dotted circle (if
the width of the glyph is zero).

The better result is done by this:

(insert #x642 (compose-string "\x64C" 0 1 "\t\x64C\t"))

I tried it with 4 fonts on GNU/Linux and all were ok.

> I tried that on my machine, and it didn't have the desired
> effect.

Please try above.

---
Kenichi Handa