Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 23:03:32 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > If possible, I'd like to avoid inserting LRM unconditionally.

> Why?  They are invisible, so they are not displayed at all.

In general, it's smarter to use LRM only where necessary.
And when one cut&paste the keyboard layout (or some part of
it) of l2r characters, he will be surprized by LRM
characters.

> > Is it possible to have this kind of function?
> >
> > (defun quail-help-require-LRM (char)
> >    (or (eq (get-char-code-property char 'bidi-class) 'L)
> >        ...))

> It's possible, but why bother?  And with this function you will insert
> the LRM for many characters that don't need that, like punctuation,
> numbers, etc.

??? I want a function that returns t only for a character
that require preceding LRM in the keyboard layout.

> Also, `lower' and `upper' could be strings, in which case you need a
> more complex test.

We can give (if (string lower) (aref lower 0) lower) to that
function.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden