Re: "Loading"

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: "Loading"
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:33:39 +0100

>> I believe it would be a good thing, if running asynchronous
>> operations are made visible consistently in Emacs. Maybe we could
>> agree on the same function?
>
> In messages with images, there's usually more than one.  Some may be
> downloading, some may have failed and some may not be downloading at
> all.  I was thinking that it would make sense to "spin" the particular
> images that are in the process of downloading to give the user an
> obvious feedback on what's happening with each particular image.
>
> However, I'm not absolutely sure that's necessary.  The three
> categories could be distinguished otherwise.  If the downloading
> fails, perhaps a "broken image" image could be shown instead, and for
> the images that aren't going to be downloaded, perhaps some other icon
> could be shown.

Maybe some spinner plus number of active/aborted/skipped processes,

> Spinning in the buffer itself may be unnecessarily distracting.

And it would be likely to break something.  Remember when you introduced
the seconds-counting Date header in gnus article mode and sometimes
copying a region would copy from Date header to mark instead of from
mark to point?

Bye,
Tassilo