Re: "resource temporarily unavailable" errors on windows 7

From: Alex Harsanyi
Subject: Re: "resource temporarily unavailable" errors on windows 7
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:57:24 +0800

2012/3/15 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> "On the third try" meaning that you have 2 other subprocesses running,
> or did you invoke a process, then terminated it, then invoked another,
> etc. 3 times?

The sub-process was diff, I was running `M-x diff-backup RET' on
w32proc.c and waiting for it to finish, than running it again.  I just
checked the source for diff-backup and it seems that it runs diff in
async mode.  Since I just looked at the *vc-diff* buffer, it is
possible that one run of diff overlapped over the next one.  So
probably I had three parallel processes running, or at least
reader_thread did not terminate before the next process started.

>> I also noticed that spontaneously, the Stack reserved size grows by
>> about 10-12Mb (Free section decreases accordingly), than the memory is
>> released a few seconds later.
>
> Is that for the Emacs process?  If so, I would suspect that GC kicked
> in.  You can see if that's so by setting garbage-collection-messages
> non-nil.

This is a good explanation

> Did you try increasing the size of the original request in
> allocate_heap, and if you did, what was the maximum value that still
> gives you a good Emacs session?

All this was done with allocate_heap starting the request at 2GB.
As I mentioned in a previous email, this ended up with approx 1.8Gb
being reserved for the heap.

> Thanks for working on this.

Thanks for helping me out.

Alex