Re: Completion with (:exclusive 'no) is called twice, and doesn't pass o

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: Completion with (:exclusive 'no) is called twice, and doesn't pass over on sole completion.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:18:55 +0100

  > Hi,

  > The completion in emacs 24 is called twice. For example

  > (defun foo-completion ()
  >   (when (save-excursion (re-search-backward "\\<\\w*" (point-at-bol) t))
  >     (let ((token (match-string-no-properties 0))
  >       (beg (match-beginning 0))
  >       (end (match-end 0)))
  >       (message "%s:" token)
  >       (when (= end (point))
  >     (list beg end (list "aaaa" "aaaaaaa" "bbbb" "truncat") :exclusive
'no)))))

  > (add-to-list 'completion-at-point-functions 'foo-completion)
  > ;; it is now (foo-completion lisp-completion-at-point t)

  > Place your point at the end of 'aaaa and you try to complete. I am
  > getting

  > aaa:
  > aaaa:

  > in my message buffer. Which means the completion is called twice. I hope
  > this is not an intended behavior, as it might seriously interfere with
  > custom completion. For example I might want to have a different behavior
  > on the second consequent invocation of the completion (give a message,
  > modify the candidates etc).

A related issue. Position after 'aaaa, try to complete. You will get a
"Sole completion" message. Press "space" or "M-b", or whatever, you will
get a message "aaaa:" which means that completion is repeated after any
other command. This is really bad, as my completion is calling an
external process and stalls emacs for a second, badly interfering with
the editing.