Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:41:07 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Btw, there's some strange problem in displaying one label of the
> hebrew-biblical-tiro input method: the character u+05ba (inserted by
> Shift-5 key) is displayed as a blank rectangle.  It looks like my
> fonts have no glyph for this character, but then why don't we display
> this like any other glyphless character: as a hex code inside a small
> rectangle?  That's what I get if I insert this character into a
> buffer, but somehow the way we display it in the keyboard layout (and
> in the "C-u C-x =" display under "decomposition") behaves differently.
> Why is that?

As that character is a non-spacing modifier, we display it
with a static composition, and a glyph in a static
composition are displayed by a blank rectangle if no font is
available.  This is because a hex code makes the resulting
display of composition (several glyphs may occupy a single
column) unreadable.

It may be possible to change the current code to use a hex
code displaying if a composition contains just one glyph and
that glyph has no font, but it may be for 24.2.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden