patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions policy]

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions policy]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 03:20:26 -0500

On Sun, Apr 01 2012, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> At a first glance, there are places where copyright notices and other
>> boilerplate are overwritten with older text. The most glaring case is
>> this:
>
> Once again: please *never ever* overwrite files.  Always apply
> a patch instead.

I read this at several occassions. -- I am not an expert with bzr and I
was wondering whether "never overwriting files" translates into a
recommended work flow with bzr.

Most of my knowledge about using bzr with emacs development stems from
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
where I couldn't find anything about this.

Thanks,

Roland