Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions polic

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions policy]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:36:19 +0200

Roland Winkler <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 01 2012, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> At a first glance, there are places where copyright notices and other
>>> boilerplate are overwritten with older text. The most glaring case is
>>> this:
>>
>> Once again: please *never ever* overwrite files.  Always apply
>> a patch instead.
>
> I read this at several occassions. -- I am not an expert with bzr and I
> was wondering whether "never overwriting files" translates into a
> recommended work flow with bzr.

Stefan's advice has nothing to do with bzr. It is about not blindly
overwriting changes made on the emacs repo with the new version of the
externally-maintained package (`Org' is in this case.) Applying a patch
gives a lot more opportunities for noticing conflicts (suppossing that
the hacker cares to examine the output of the patch command, that is.)

[snip]