Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:24:37 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> That amounts to using the Emacs repository is the canonical repository
> for Gnus, ERC, CEDET, MH-E, Org, ...
> But they don't want to do that, often for good reasons (legal,
> practical, ...).

I would guess that the main practical reason for having the external
repositories is the long feature freeze that happens in Emacs
development.

If Emacs shifted to a "continuous development" model (with branches
being forked off for stabilisation now and then), that might change
... stuff.  That might not be practical, though, as previously pointed
out.  Virtually all the developers would "live" in the trunk version of
Emacs, so the forked-off stable version would get less love and testing.

I don't know.  Would it be worth trying to shifting to that model after
Emacs 24.1?  Preferably with more frequent releases, too.  :-)

The other practical consideration, though, is that several (some? all?)
of the packages mentioned also contains code not relevant for the
current Emacs -- compatibility stuff, XEmacs stuff, etc.