[emacs-devel] emacs save/restore state?

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: [emacs-devel] emacs save/restore state?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 10:01:59 -0600 (MDT)

Is anyone on this list aware of functions to save and restore emacs
state, including all buffers (both temporary and file-related),
command history, kill-ring, and loaded emacs libraries?

I frequently want the ability to switch from one emacs session to
another, sometimes after a version upgrade, and other times between
different machines.  Because my emacs sessions frequently run for many
months, the state is complex, and painful to reconstruct.  Computers
should work for people, not the other way around, so it would be nice
to do something like this:

        M-x save-state<RETurn>
        Filename: $HOME/emacs.state

        M-x restore-state<RETurn>