Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:52:07 -0400

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:25:41 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

RS>     For other things, having them in Org's repo makes sense, because it
RS>     is a central place for anything related to Org.

RS> Is it possible to have two repositories that partly overlap
RS> and partly don't?  I would think that it ought to be possible
RS> with a DVCS.

Yes, but it's very hard to keep them synchronized without a merge
manager, especially if you have to convert between Git and Bazaar.  For
Gnus we have Yamaoka-san who keeps us sane, doing the merges in a
semi-automatic way.  I tried to get something automatic between Gnus and
Emacs working last year and was unable to convince Bazaar to do what I
wanted, after a few days of hacking.  Perhaps it's a matter of training
and dedication I lacked; if anyone has *automated* the merge workflow
between Git and Bazaar for two large, partially overlapping and with
many files renamed, repositories, I'd love to know how it can be done.

Ted