Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions polic

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions policy]
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:36:40 +0200

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I'm not sure I get all the details of your setup, so it's
> possible that I will say something silly; apologies in advance.  But
> IIUC, you could get away with less branches and less manual work.  So
> here we go:

Thanks a lot for the detailed workflow description.

I don't have the bzr-tiplog plugin installed (I don't know how to
install it), and just by reading the workflow I don't feel really
confortable in trying it...

Here is the one I used for the sync this morning:

~$ cd install/git/
~$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
~$ cd emacs
~$ git checkout emacs-24
~$ cd ~/install/git/org-mode/
~$ git checkout maint [the branch in sync with Emacs]
~$ cp [files from Emacs] [to files from Org]
~$ git diff > ~/emacs-sync.diff
~$ [review the diff and apply it to the maint branch]
~$ git checkout hotfix
~$ git merge maint [merge changes from Emacs]
~$ [release new Org (minor) version]
~$ git checkout maint
~$ git merge hotfix
~$ copy files from Org to Emacs (git)
~$ git diff [in Emacs git, to get the diff]
~$ review the patch and apply it to bzr emacs-24 if correct

Most of this can be automated with a few scripts, and I
try to avoid bzr, because using Magit for git diff and other
operations is really handy.

Best,

--
 Bastien