Re: Ispell and unibyte characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Ispell and unibyte characters
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:51:15 -0400

> ("catala8"
>      "[A-Za-z]" "[^A-Za-z]" "['\267-]" nil ("-B" "-d" "catalan") nil
> iso-8859-1)

> Unless emacs knows the encoding for \267 (middledot "·") it cannot decode it
> properly. I prefer to not use UTF-8 here, because I want the entry to also be
> useful for ispell (and also be XEmacs incompatible). The best approach here
> seems to decode the otherchars regexp according to provided coding-system.

There's something I don't understand here:

If you want a middle dot, why don't you put a middle dot?
I mean why write "['\267-]" rather than ['·-]?

I think this is related to your saying "I prefer to not use UTF-8 here",
but again I don't know what you mean by "use UTF-8", because using
a middle dot character in the source file does not imply using UTF-8
anywhere (the file can be saved in any encoding that includes the
middle dot).

For me notations like \267 should be used exclusively to talk about
*bytes*, not about *chars*.  So it might make sense to use those for
things like matching particular bytes in [ia]spell's output, but it
makes no sense to match chars in the buffer being spell-checked since
the buffer does not contain bytes but chars.

        Stefan