Re: Ispell and unibyte characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Ispell and unibyte characters
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:57:04 -0400

>> If you want a middle dot, why don't you put a middle dot?
>> I mean why write "['\267-]" rather than ['·-]?
> The problem is that in a dictionary alist you can have dictionaries with
> different unibyte encodings, if you happen to have two of that chars in
> different encodings I'd expect problems.

I still don't understand.  Can you be more specific?

>> For me notations like \267 should be used exclusively to talk about
>> *bytes*, not about *chars*.  So it might make sense to use those for
>> things like matching particular bytes in [ia]spell's output, but it
>> makes no sense to match chars in the buffer being spell-checked since
>> the buffer does not contain bytes but chars.
> That is why I want to decode those bytes into actual chars to be used in

If I understand correctly what you mean by "those bytes", then using "·"
instead of "\267" gives you the decoded form right away without having
to do extra work.

> spellchecking, and make sure that they are decoded from correct
> coding-system.  Otherwise if process coding-system is changed to UTF-8 and
> that stays as bytes matching the wrong encoding things may not work well.

I lost you here.  I agree that "if it stays as bytes" you're going to
suffer, which is why I propose to use chars instead.

        Stefan